Monday, January 08, 2007

HARMA**F*CK#N**TTAN

I have been meaning to research HARMATTAN for weeks. At this point anyone in Lagos will tell you this is FREAKING ANNOYING! We can hardly breathe, we can barely see at night and numerous flights have been cancelled. There is dust everywhere. Irritating the hell out of my contacts, I'm sneezing non-stop, my chest is congested and when you hack up stuff, you can see the dust particles in it and I'm thinking that cannot be good for my lungs. I don't remember HARMATTAN been this bad EVER.
Anyway point of my rant is; I've been arguing (Idiotically I might add NOW) that HARMATTAN is one of our made up words in Nigeria, I'm like I've never heard of it anywhere else.
FINE! People say Americans are ignorant- I can accept that SOMETIMES but geez I've travelled a bit now. How come I've only heard it in Nigeria.
Anyway so I GOOGLED it expecting to see "Did you mean harmatann?" or something. But NOOOO... it actually is a weather condition and a real one. GOSH everyone gets cool stuff they can play with like snow and hailstones.
WTF am I supposed to do with 10 layers of dust??? Lick it??? PSSH...
Now I owe N10K (GOD pls remove the words "Oya let's bet..." from my VOCAB)

There may be 2 of us out there that didn't know this so to u my brother or sister, I say "Don't mind them, it's not like they knew either" Here you go... dropping u some knowledge on Monday from Wikipedia.

The Harmattan is a dry and dusty wind blowing south off the Sahara into the Gulf of Guinea between November and March (winter). It is considered a Natural Hazard.
On its passage over the desert it picks up fine dust particles (between 0.5 and 10 micrometres). When the Harmattan blows hard, it can push dust and sand all the way to South America. In some countries in West Africa, the heavy amount of dust in the air can severely limit visibility and block the sun for several days, comparable to a heavy fog. The effect caused by the dust and sand stirred by these winds is known as the Harmattan Haze, and costs airlines millions in cancelled and diverted flights each year. In Niger, people say that men and animals become increasingly irritable when this wind has been blowing for a while, giving it a bad reputation. However, the cool wind brings relief from the oppressive heat, which is why the Harmattan has earned the nickname "The Doctor".

Yeah... yeah... it's just bootleg winter!

No comments: