Monday, July 11, 2005

CONFESSIONS OF A SHOE-AHOLIC

Almost everyone has had to answer the age-old question“what would you come back as in another life?” While most people give philosophical answers like a cheetah for its speed and agility or an eagle for its ability to soar to unreachable heights. I on the other hand, want to return as a pair of fabulous display shoes. I’ll explain; I say display shoes for only one intensive purpose. Some shoes are works of art. I just want to buy them and put them up in my closet and never wear them. I don’t want to be a practical shoe that will have to be ground continuously on the floor or God forbid step into some “dog doo-doo”. I want to be put on a pedestal and appreciated.

By now u must know surely I have an unhealthy obsession with shoes. When I buy a new pair of shoes I have what I like to call ‘the breaking in ceremony’ in which I wear them around the house for about a week. I wear them with my PJ’s; I strut in them while I’m exfoliating and cleansing; going down to get a drink of water; sit and talk on the phone while I dangle my feet and admire how good they look with my nail polish (u get the picture) I put my shoes together with all kinds of outfits in my head. I’ve been known to toss and turn in bed just imagining what I would look like in a pair of new shoes or what my “strut” would convey to all those watching.

Now the ladies know what I’m talking about. Describing the rush from the perfect pair of shoes to a man is pointless…u can practically see their eyes glaze over from lack of understanding as u explain to them how much longer your legs look. As I’ve tried to explain to “Himself” countless number of times; trying to justify a recent acquisition of the perfect Dolce & Gabbana (black pumps, criss-cross (one black, one flower print), the perfect heel) shoes kindly bestowed upon me by a “bestie” of mine on a recent shopping escapade in Edinburgh ( I luv u B!) He didn’t understand why I needed $400 shoes but a TV for a $1000 makes more sense to him (roite!).

The particular shoes I aspire to be; change with the seasons. I like to think of it as my own personal evolvement in style and of course in life. This season, my choice- Beige- Patent leather- Manolo Blahnik- Mary Janes! Absolutely lovely…perfect color; perfect form; 3 1/2 inch heels…goes with everything! I imagine it with jeans, a tee & pearls or with “the little black dress” or with a skirt… the possibilities are limitless.

Mr. Blahnik himself said it best; "Women should always transform themselves, and shoes are instant transformation, "Plus, a dress is more elaborate and expensive than a pair of shoes.”
So there see… if Mr. Blahnik said it, then surely my addiction can’t be that bad… I think.


1 comment:

Don Chi as Blog Marley a.k.a. El Senor Supremo said...

Blahnik (or however you spell it) is a dude!?! Never gave it a 2nd thought. So in essense, you worship a man @ the end of the day? Shame. My thing is, Sarah Jessica Parker's ensemble would look great on a $1000 TV, no?